Policy on OPLIN Sponsorship of Events Planned by Others
OPLIN has a limited ability to sponsor events, professional development opportunities and training for the Ohio public library community. We cannot provide assistance for training or events outside OPLIN's core mission. However, OPLIN wishes to encourage and foster development by others of workshops, training and events in the following areas:
- Network skills on all levels
- Network Security
- Development of Web-based services to patrons.
- Server implementation and management for digital services or email.
- Training, awareness and usage of any kind related to OPLIN-provided databases
- Management, including economics, in areas such as acquisition of electronic databases, and technology planning.
- E-rate procedures, policies and related matters.
- Public access policy and management.
- The Digital Divide
For events of that type, OPLIN may supply direct financial assistance, equipment donation, or some specific service, such as providing connectivity and access for the event.
Entities that wish OPLIN to participate financially should be aware that:
- Dollar amounts over $500 require a contract in order to meet State accounting requirements
- Dollar amounts less than that require a memo of understanding that outlines the agreed upon deliverables, compensation and recognition for OPLIN.
- No invoice can be paid until after the event.
- OPLIN will expect clear recognition and possibly complementary attendance in exchange for sponsorship. Details can be negotiated.
Partnering for Events Planned by OPLIN
Because our staff is small and our service area is statewide, we often rely on partnerships to provide venues for OPLIN-managed training. We might ask a group to supply a training lab or meeting room. We might ask them to manage signup and reservations for their part of the state. We might ask a group to be an end-point for a statewide video conference. Or, we might ask the group to recruit speakers and organize an event within an OPLIN-managed agenda.
- OPLIN will pay up to a $75 administrative fee per day for use of facility, coordinating reservations and registration, and supplies such as name tags, and coffee/break service. This assumes that OPLIN is supplying speakers, presentation materials, folders, and handouts.
- OPLIN will pay up to $300 per day to an entity to fully manage training or event at the entity's facility according to an agenda or curriculum supplied by OPLIN. This assumes that the entity will supply speakers, presentation materials, and handouts.
- Such events must be open to all libraries free of charge.
Because OPLIN provides T1 lines free of charge to Ohio Public Libraries and to Regional Library Systems OPLIN does not pay any of them to host an OPLIN-presented video conference. In the unlikely event that a video conference training session requires services similar to on-site training, (reservation, sign-in, supplies and/or coffee service) the $75 administrative fee would apply.
In addition, we sometimes seek a training provider to actually create training on our behalf. In such cases a fee is negotiated with the provider to create curriculum and materials, and possibly to actually present the training. A contract will spell out the terms of that activity. Any material created for OPLIN becomes the property of OPLIN who will make it freely available to Ohio public library staff members as circumstances dictate. OPLIN fundamentally believes that content (including training) created with tax dollars should be made freely available. In the case of material, such as training, designed for library staff, it should be made freely available to the audience for which it is intended.
Approved by the OPLIN Board April 9, 2004